Sports Therapy is an aspect of healthcare that is specifically concerned with the prevention of injury and rehabilitation of the patient back to optimum levels of functional, occupational and sports specific fitness, regardless of age and ability.
For more information, please visit www.society-of-sports-therapists.org
This is done by an assessment, treatment and an appropriate rehabilitation programme.
Common injuries include:
- Achilles tendinopathy - Low back pain
- ITB syndrome - Rotator cuff injuries
- Tennis elbow - Piriformis syndrome
Treatment and rehabilitation may include:
- Ultrasound - Kinesiology tape (Rock tape)
- Sports Massage - Gentle mobilisations
- Stretching programme - Proprioceptive and balance work
Ultrasound is a pain free, short treatment. Some of the benefits are:
- Reduce healing time
- Breakdown of scar tissue
- Increase in blood flow
Rock Tape (also known as kinesiology tape) is commonly used by athletes and recreational exercisers to help musculo - skeletal and sporting injuries.
It helps reduce swelling, pain, tightness and stiffness.
Having trained through Rock tape, I can be found on the RockDocs UK register.